By Murney Gerlach
Read or Download British Liberalism and the United States: Political and Social Thought in the Late Victorian Age PDF
Best conservatism & liberalism books
Army energy is now the most motor vehicle for regime swap, the USA military has been used on greater than 30 various events within the post-Cold warfare international in comparison with simply 10 in the course of the chilly warfare period. Andrew Williams offers an in depth learn on liberal considering during the last century approximately how wars will be ended, utilizing an enormous diversity of ancient archival fabric from diplomatic, different authentic and private papers and putting his learn in the debates that experience emerged in political idea.
In response to in-depth learn in Poland and Slovakia, Domesticating Neo-Liberalism addresses how we comprehend the methods of neo-liberalization in post-socialist towns. Builds upon an enormous volume of recent study information Examines how families attempt to maintain their livelihoods at really dramatic and tough occasions of city transformation offers an incredible contribution to how we theorize the geographies of neo-liberalism deals a end which informs discussions of social coverage inside ecu Union growth content material: bankruptcy One Domesticating Neo?
Conservatism in problem? examines the special gains of British and American conservative writings on govt and society within the post-Cold struggle period. regardless of Conservative's victories over their socialist rivals, this has no longer ended in the uncontested dominance in their rules. by way of the demanding situations Conservatives face from such today's competitors as multiculturalists and environmentalists, Bruce Pilbeam examines the chance that conservatism is exhausted as an ideology of up to date relevance.
In the course of the innovative period (1880-1920), prime thinkers and politicians remodeled American politics. Historians and political scientists have given loads of cognizance to the progressives who effected this change. but fairly little is understood concerning the conservatives who adverse those innovative options, although they performed a tremendous function within the debates and results of this era of yank heritage.
- Democracy in Print: The Best of The Progressive Magazine, 1909-2009
- Conservatism and Racism, and Why in America They Are the Same (Suny Series in African American Studies)
- Profscam: Professors and the Demise of Higher Education
- Making Sense of American Liberalism
Extra info for British Liberalism and the United States: Political and Social Thought in the Late Victorian Age
35. The Case of the United States to be Laid Before the Tribunal of Arbitration to be Convened at Geneva (Washington, DC, 1871), pp. 87–100. 36. The letter was printed in Harper’s New Monthly Magazine, vol. liv (Dec. 1876), pp. 105–9, and is also included in Matthew, The Gladstone Diaries. Vol. VIII. 1871–1874 (Oxford, 1982), pp. 243–50. For Liberal leaders’ discussions on the letter, see A. Ramm, The Political Correspondence of Mr. Gladstone and Lord Granville 1868–1876, 2 vols (London, 1952), ii, pp.
10. Pelling’s chapter on ‘America and the British Reform Struggle, 1865–7’ discusses the whole debate in a most interesting light (pp. 7–29). 51. Hansard, 3rd series, vol. clxxxiii, 27 Apr. 1866, 119. 52. C. Harvie, Lights of Liberalism, p. 11. 53. Essays on Reform (1867): Houghton, ‘On the Admission of the Working Classes as Part of our Social System; and on their Recognition for all Purposes as Part of the Nation,’ pp. 45–66; Stephen, ‘On the Choice of Representatives by Popular Constituencies,’ pp.
18. F. W. Hirst, Early Life & Letters of John Morley, 2 vols (London, 1927), i, p. 42. 19. F. W. Knickerbocker, Free Minds: John Morley and His Friends (Cambridge, MA 1943), p. 126. 20. Ions, James Bryce and American Democracy 1870–1922 (London, 1968), pp. 30–1. 21. S. Gwynn and G. Tuckwell, The Life of the Rt. Hon, Sir Charles W. , 2 vols (London, 1917), i, p. 30. 22. , i, p. 56. 32 British Liberalism and the United States 23. J. L. Garvin, The Life of Joseph Chamberlain, 3 vols (London, 1932–34), i, pp.